Crockett Cards

Katherine Crockett Silk-Screen Cards

 

It all started with a block-printed handmade Christmas card. In 1925, Katherine Crockett (1898-1979) was a young artist living in New York City. A Brandon native, she had moved to the city after studying art in Boston and was teaching art in a private girls’ school. She made a  Christmas card and sent it to a friend, who was so impressed she convinced Katherine to make more cards for her. In 1929, Crockett Cards were born.

Through the Great Depression, Katherine lived in New York City and made a living with her cards. She switched to the much faster process of silk screening to meet the growing demand (by then she had added an exclusive line of designs for the Lunning Collection at Georg Jensen’s.) In 1947, she bought the Cyrus Dike barn and 16 acres on Furnace Road in Pittsford. After Katherine married Jack Marnell, they converted the barn to a home and studio and moved the business to Pittsford in 1951. When her eyesight began to fail in 1966, she sold the business to James Mann, who moved it to the building previously owned by Keith’s II. The business sold several more times, moving to Manchester in the mid-1970’s, and then Bennington.

 

Fast forward to January 2015 when the Pittsford Historical Society acquired the remaining inventory from the last owner in Bennington. It was a monumental task transporting, unpacking, organizing, and storing the cards at the Museum. But, the enthusiasm for the project never diminished. The artistry and integrity that Katherine put in her designs was evident in every single card we unpacked. The cards are for sale at the Museum from April until November, and at the Maclure Library year round.